- 1 1/2 cups of cake flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 3/4 cup (6oz) of unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups of low-fat ricotta cheese
- 1 1/2 cups of white sugar
- 1 Tablespoon of finely grated lemon zest
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 250 grams (1 stick) of low-fat Philadelphia cream cheese
- 1/2 cup of icing sugar
- 4 1/2 Tablespoon passion fruit syrup
- Pre-heat the oven to 350F (180C).
- Grease loaf pan with a little butter. Set aside. .
- In a medium mixing bowl, sift together the cake flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, use an electric mixer to cream together the butter, ricotta, lemon zest and sugar on medium speed until smooth and light for about 2 minutes.
- Use a wooden spoon to gently beat the eggs into the ricotta mixture, one at a time, making sure they’re well combined before adding the next egg. Make sure you scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add vanilla and stir gently to combine.
- Using the wooden spoon, gradually mix in the dry ingredients until combined.
- Pour the batter into the greased pan and use a spatula to smooth the top.
- Bake the cake for 15 minutes, then turn the pan 180 degrees make sure it browns evenly. Bake for another 10 minutes then lower the heat to 325F (150C) and bake for 30 minutes.
- Test the cake by inserting a tooth pick into the center. If it comes out clean, it’s ready.
- Remove cake from oven and allow to cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Carefully invert cake onto the rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, prepare the passion fruit icing. In a medium bowl combine the cream cheese, icing sugar and passion fruit syrup. Beat with the electric mixer on a medium speed until smooth and creamy.
- Once the cake is cooled, spread on passion fruit icing, slice and serve.